Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The photo shoot that wasn't


Gavin always looks handsome to me. I should have cropped my back-side from this. Oops.



This sums up how Claire felt about the whole thing.


The only one where they are sort of both looking in the same direction.


Fake smile from me because I was mostly irritated.

We've been tossing around the idea of having someone take photos of the kids, possibly on the beach. After some consideration, we decided to scrap that idea and do a photo shoot of them ourselves. My mom has a real knack for photography and since my kids are so
perfect and well-behaved, it would be like Annie Leibowitz meets Anne Geddes meets completely free. Hmm.

We took them to Selby Gardens since we have so many beach pics already, and S.G is a lovely setting where I am sure lots of great pictures have been taken. Not so much ours. Despite the double-barreled bribe/threat approach (if this goes well, we can go to the playground/if you keep that up we won't be going to the playground. (complete with the annoying mom standard: Well, I guess you just don't want to go to the playground then...)) the children just weren't up for it. Claire did her best, but the fake smile reigned and any suggestion that it wasn't her usual smile was met with some very fierce faces indeed. Gavin couldn't keep his hands out of his mouth, to say nothing of the various leaves, berries, seeds etc he found scattered about the place. And getting them together, looking at the camera at the same time was virtually impossible. We did get a few nice shots, but not the portfolio we envisioned.

I haven't done any portraits of Gavin. I'm not really the take a portrait every month type of person, nor can I afford it, but I've had at least a couple of Claire done over her four years. I prefer natural, relaxed settings over a studio, but after this experience, maybe getting them into a small, restricted space where they will have no choice but to look perfect and adorable and will gaze into the camera, Claire's hand protectively across Gavin's shoulder, him leaning gently into her - a perfect beacon of brotherly-sisterly love, quite unlike this:



Yes, I always have high hopes. And yes, we did go to the playground.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lora said...

oh hey! There's your face!

It's adorable.

So are the kids but blah blah blah. You already knew that.

Yours truly said...

I like the pic where it looks like Claire has a vulcan grip on G and G looks like he's scared to move. Meanwhile, C looks perfectly smug in her deviant ways. :)