Sunday, February 08, 2009

25 Things Redux: Sugarluxe Artist Chandra Michaels Edition

So this thing has been around the world and back, even garnering a snarky article in Time Magazine. Whatever. I find it gratifying to know details about people, no matter how inconsequential, and enjoy the order and conciseness of lists...so different from the way I actually live my life.

I am changing things up just a little here by posting a 25 Things list about someone else, specifically Chandra Michaels, the artist behind brand Sugarluxe, and a wonderful friend. Sure, she's done her own FB list, but this one will show how she looks through my eyes.

So, here goes:

1. It's not just an act. She really is that nice.

2. It's not Photoshop. She really is that beautiful.

3. The combination of the above traits make her prey to more stalkers and crazies than I can remember.

4. She is very loyal. Having been betrayed by close "friends" before (hey, jealousy...), she is intensely devoted to those who stand by her...even if she is often too busy to be in day-to-day contact.

5. Busy though may she be, Chandra still knows how to make a little girl's whole week by coming to the big gymnastics show.

6. She has always been attracted to rock-n-roll bad boys. Even when they are 80, she will look at Bob and see him on stage with his guitar, swinging his long hair around, making the groupies swoon.

7. I watched a guy at a store actually fall over in his attempts to get a better look at Chandra as she walked by. It was damn funny, and sort of surreal. (Especially since we were in Michael's. Why was he on the prowl at a Michael's anyway?)

8. Many people have the mistaken assumption that things have always fallen into her lap. Sure, the combination of beauty and talent is a blessing, but there is a hell of a lot of hard work, more sacrifice than most people are willing to make and long, long dedicated hours behind all the "luck" she is perceived as having.

9. This may be a love fest, but I am not one of the aforementioned stalkers/crazy people.

10. The first part of her name is pronounced like chance, the last part should be easy enough. It's not Shondra. Not Chaundra. Not Shandra. It's not hard, but so many people just can't seem to get it right.

11. Chandra is not crazy about swimming, but can rock a bikini.

12. She will make an awesome mother in the as yet undetermined, but not-too-distant future.

13. Chandra has a dry and quirky sense of humor. And she thinks I am funny, so clearly she is really, really smart.

14. She sees more in people than they see in themselves. And draws it out of them.

15. She lived in Joe Walsh's house when she was out in LA, a fact belied by her questionable affinity for pop music.

16. Despite appearances, Chandra is not perfect. The next part of the list is not so pretty...

17. She should eat a healthier diet and not get so wrapped up in work that she forgets to eat at all. "Baco" Bit sandwiches are not part of any food group. Nor are packets of sauce from Chick-Fil-A.

18. She has more medical stuff happen than anyone else I have met...from the terrible to the mundane. On the plus side, I have inherited any number of cosmetic products after they turned her face bright red and splotchy.

19. She is a workaholic. At least now she is working insane amounts for her own business's success, but even back in the old days of corporate drudgery, she put in way more time and effort than those corporations deserved or appreciated.

20. Umm, I can't think of anything else in the not-so-perfect category and number 17 and 19 are not so bad since the results are thin and successful...hmmm.

21. Chandra is a really good friend. One time when I called her to tell her about some bad news I received, she was in such a rush to come support me that Bob had to tell her to slow down and put on some pants.

22. I feel so incredibly proud when I see Sugarluxe items being worn by people out and about. Also when I see Sugarluxe items for sale in national retail stores. Sure hip boutiques have more cachet, but there is something about knowing the artwork is being seen by every Tina, Diane and Harriet in one of the gazillion Bed, Bath and Beyond stores across the country that makes me puff up with pride, like I had something to do with it!

23. February 14th marks the 4th anniversary of Sugarluxe. Cheers!

24. Chandra is celebrating by offering free Sugarluxe goods throughout the month of February. Check the Sugarluxe blog to find out more.

25. After this admittedly sycophantic but, and I say this with the utter conviction of the subjective, undeniably true list, I should automatically be a recipient of some sweet Sugarluxe bounty. Alas, Chandra's high-faluting ethics will prevent her from just naming me the winner and I will just have to throw my name into the sparkly tiara and hope I score. Uh-oh! Maybe I am one of the stalker/crazies after all...

3 comments:

Lora said...

I stalk her in the worst way. In fact, I knew who she was before I knew who Jori was. I've never told Chandra that. I've never told her anything. She's probably relieved that I live all the way in Pennsylvania.

Karen said...

Sorry, Lora. Until you show up at her door at 3am with a bottle of tequila in one hand and an imagined slight in the other, you don't qualify.

garrett-mccann said...

Karen that was a remarkable blog about Chan. I have known Chan since she was 15 years old. Boy the times we had together we very fun and comical. I wish her all the best in her new career and I am happy to see she has a great friend in you.
Tell Chan I said hello